Woodbury was founded in 1683 by Henry Wood, a Quaker from the Northwest of England who had left Great Britain due to religious persecution. Since being settled in the 18th century, the New Jersey community has transformed into a historic, sustainable, and transit-friendly town that attracts a diverse group of citizens.
Woodbury was the first city in the United States to mandate recycling. This effort was led by then-councilman and later mayor Donald P. Sanderson in the 1970s, and an ordinance was finally passed in December 1980 to make the legislation official. Today, the town continues its sustainable practices and encourages progressive behaviors that best reflect helping the environment.
In 2000, the Borough of Bury in England and the City of Woodbury were twinned as part of millennium celebrations in both countries. The twinning was the culmination of a week-long ceremony where more than 300 school children and college students, local dignitaries, and residents from Bury took part in sporting and cultural events held in and around Woodbury.
Today, residents are attracted to the town’s down-to-earth atmosphere, beautiful housing stock, access to public transit, and the assortment of shopping and dining options. Locals can easily walk to downtown amenities or one of the many public parks. Woodbury has a sense of community that its residents take pride in.
The housing stock of Woodbury is classic, diverse, and full of character. Renting in the area is affordable while still offering access to all the big-city features and flare of nearby Philadelphia, Atlantic City, and the Jersey Shore.
Broad Street is a popular destination for living, working, playing, and is the hub of Woodbury. Nearly everything in the town is a 15-minute walk to downtown. Locals can choose to ride their bikes to one of the many community events and organizations, as Woodbury is cycling friendly. Public and private educational opportunities attract many families to the area and city services, such as the police department, public works, and local government, help keep Woodbury safe and running smoothly.
Woodbury has an impressive parks system and hosts the county’s YMCA. The community is a great place if you prefer pleasant tree-lined streets and walking to your local shopping district, restaurants, medical, and legal offices.
You can find an abundance of delicious food options on Broad Street, otherwise known as Woodbury’s Main Street. Diverse retailers provide the community with unique and desirable gifts and goods. The city government is business friendly and progressive, while the population density all make for great reasons why new people would want to set up shop in town.
The area is also great for public transportation. Woodbury is serviced by several public bus routes (and a light rail line with two stations in Woodbury is being planned between Camden and nearby Classic Town, Glassboro). Broad Street connects to state highway 45 while Interstate 295 has three exits within a 5-minute drive of town. Getting to Philadelphia or other New Jersey towns is seamless as Woodbury is convenient and centrally located.
Finding a public park to relax or play in is extremely easy with Woodbury’s many options. Rotary Park, Hendrickson Park, Suiter-Baptiste Park, Bell Lake Park, Lake Drive, Wing-Dickerson Park, and the bike path along Woodbury Creek all offer different local events, activities, and lovely scenery for everyone’s interest. Community organizations host weekly events while the town puts on additional functions throughout the year. A fall festival parade, 4th of July fireworks, ghost tours, Santa Claus parade, car shows, and other activities are just some of local favorites.
The FAF Coalition in Woodbury is a nonprofit arts organization that champions initiatives rich in arts, culture, and sustainable design as a catalyst for community development and economic revitalization. FAF is an epicenter that unites, promotes, and shares the network of diverse artists and creative organizations in the tri-state region through free and accessible programming. The organization hosts multiple Woodbury events throughout the year that bring the whole town and surrounding areas together.
The Woodbury Library is one of the area’s best-kept secrets as it offers activities for all ages. From story time to art classes, the library is the perfect place to find an affordable and interactive experience.
Everybody can also indulge in Woodbury cuisine and delicious town dishes. The Colonial Diner, Gia Nina’s, and Charlie Brown’s all offer tasty meals that the whole family will love. Fiore’s Bagel Nook & Cafe and Woodbury Station Cafe are perfect for those looking for an amazing breakfast.
Experience history in this small town. End your day at the oldest surviving Conrail Watchman's Stand in the state. This tour was adapts the work of the Woodbury Old City Restoration Committee. Enjoy the tour!
This 2½ story Colonial Revival brick building has undergone several changes. The east lower half, now City Hall, was originally the permanent school built in 1744 by the Woodbury Friends. The second story was added in 1820 and the harmonious library addition in 1953. Continue on Delaware Street and take a right onto South Broad Street.
This 1890 Victorian Second Empire style building was once a store and dwelling. The property marked the entrance to Stokes Lumber Yard. It was known as Mr. Lieberman’s Meat Store during the 1920’s. Walk back up the East side of Broad Street to your next destination.
The centerpiece in Woodbury is its recently restored 1855 Romanesque style County Court House built of Trenton brownstone and Dauphin County trim. The clock tower is the highest structure is the highest structure in the city. The original brick colonial court house dated 1787, was situated closer to the street corner and was razed to permit construction of the “new” building.
17 North Broad Street was original construct in 1887 for use as a bank and is now connected to the Court House by an enclosed two story walkway. 19 North Broad Street is a 1916 Beaux Arts Classicism building is constructed of smooth coursed stone with a series of large, round arched window openings. It was formerly used as a bank before being purchased by the county in 1991.
The Brick Quaker Meeting House, erected in 1715, is the first documented structure built south of the Woodbury Creek. The west portion is the original edifice; the east addition was built in 1785. The building was used as a barracks for British Revolutionary War soldiers and a hospital in 1777. Walk down the East side of North Broad Street and take a left onto Cooper Street.
Built in 1765 as a brick colonial, it now displays Victorian alterations; most notably a slate covered mansard roof. It was the boyhood home of Capt. James Lawrence whose dying words, “Don’t give up the ship!” during the War of 1812 became the watchword of the U.S. Navy.
The station was built in 1883 in Eastern Stick style featuring a hipped roof with slate shingles and decorative “stick work” in exposed porch rafters. By 1917 the number of daily trains through Woodbury reached 139. WORC restored this building in 1981.